This is only one article of the full zoning ordinances. To see the full, official document, either scroll to the bottom of this article or click here.
Section 6.1. INTENT.
The intent of the Single Family Residential district is to provide for low-density residential development with a limited number of institutional or civic and recreational facilities permitted.
Section 6.2. PRINCIPAL PERMITTED USES.
Within the (R-1) Single Family Residential district, unless otherwise provided, only the following uses, buildings or structures shall be permitted by right.
Single Family Residential Two Family Residential Family Home
Government/Public Services Local Utility Services
Park and Recreation Services
Section 6.3. CONDITIONAL USES.
Certain uses may be permitted in the (R-1) Single Family Residential district subject to specific conditions and requirements as outlined and approved by the Board of Adjustment intending to make them compatible with and acceptable to adjacent uses.
Accessory Buildings on separate lots (in compliance with Section 16.2.5)
Mobile/Manufactured Housing (only if it is located on a permanent foundation)
Nursing or Convalescent Facility Relocated Residential Residential Care Services Townhouse Residential
Cemetery Cultural Facilities Daycare Center
Educational Facilities Major Utility Facilities
Pre-Kindergarten, Preschool or Nursery School
Park and Recreation Services Religious Assembly
Bed & Breakfast Inn Boarding House Communication Services
(See Section 16.10) Funeral Services Golf Course
Section 6.4. PERMITTED ACCESSORY USES.
Permitted accessory uses shall not be the principal structure on any lot, and accessory uses are to remain incidental and secondary in size, use, and nature to the principal permitted use. Accessory uses shall also comply the provisions of Section 16.2. The following accessory uses and structures shall be permitted.
- Essential services
- Private garages or carports.
- Parking lots
- Personal recreational facilities for use by residents
- Patios, cabanas, porches, gazebos, and incidental household storage buildings
- Personal greenhouses, not operated for commercial purposes
- Radio, television, satellite dish, and other similar receiving antennas for personal use. Communication services and other devices or structures intended for commercial use are considered a conditional use and shall comply with the provisions of Section 16.10.
- Solar collectors
- Home occupations, in compliance with Section 16.5.
- The keeping of dogs or other domesticated animals in a private kennel.
- Temporary buildings for uses incidental to construction, in which buildings shall be removed upon the completion or abandonment of construction, and in compliance with Section 16.4.
- Accessory uses and structures determined by the Zoning Administrator to be appropriate, incidental, and subordinate to principal permitted and conditional uses and structures.
Section 6.5. SITE DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS.
The following minimum requirements shall be provided for light and open space around permitted and conditional uses, buildings, and structures in the (R-1) Single Family Residential district, and subject to the Supplemental District Regulations.
- Lot Area – Single Family dwelling 8,000 sq. ft. – minimum lot area All other uses 12,000 sq. ft. – minimum lot area
- Lot Width – 70 feet – minimum lot width, except entry points in cul-de-sacs
- Front Yard – 25 feet – minimum required setback
- Rear Yard – 25 feet – minimum required setback
- Side Yard – 6 feet – minimum required setback Street Side Yard (Corner Lot) – 25 feet – minimum required setback
- Height – 35 feet maximum height provided no structure shall be permitted to extend into approach zones, clear zones or other restricted air space required for the protection of any public airport.
- Residential Density – Not more than one (1) dwelling unit per lot, except for two family or multiple family residential.
No minimum requirements for local utility facilities and essential services, except that buildings or other above-ground structures or devices constructed in support of utilities or essential services must comply with minimum yard setback requirements. All residential dwelling units must be constructed in compliance with the Residential Dwelling Standards outlined in Section 16.7. Manufactured or mobile homes placed in designated residential subdivisions must be converted to real property in conformance with section 135D.26 of the Code of Iowa
Section 6.6. OFF-STREET PARKING.
Off-street parking and loading requirements shall be required for activities in the (R-1) Single Family Residential district in accordance with the provisions of Article 17 of this ordinance.
SECTION 6.7. SIGN REGULATIONS.
Sign regulations shall be required for activities in the (R-1) Single Family Residential district in accordance with the provisions of Article 18 of this ordinance.
SECTION 6.8. ZONING PERMITS REQUIRED.
Zoning permits shall be required in accordance with the provisions of Section 21.3 of this ordinance.