This is only one article of the full zoning ordinances. To see the full, official document, either scroll to the bottom of this article or click here.
Section 12.1. INTENT.
The intent of the (I-1) Light Industrial District is to provide for a wide range of industrial uses and structures that have high standards of performance and can locate near certain residential and business uses. The district regulations are designed to permit the development of certain manufacturing or industrial operations which on the basis of actual physical and operational characteristics, would not be detrimental to the surrounding area or to the community as a whole by reasons of noise, dust, smoke, odor, traffic, physical appearance or other similar factors. All industrial operations must be in an enclosed building. No residential uses are permitted in this district.
Section 12.2. PRINCIPAL PERMITTED USES.
Only the following principal uses and structures shall be permitted by right in the (I-1) Light Industrial District, except those which by reason of the emission of odor, dust, fumes, smoke, noise or obnoxious characteristics would be injurious to the public health, safety, and general welfare of the community.
Administrative/Business Offices Agricultural Sales & Services Automotive Rentals Automotive Repair Services Automotive Sales
Building Maintenance Services Business Support Services Business or Trade School Commercial Auction Yards
Commercial Off-Street Parking
Consumer Repair Services Convenience Store Convenience Storage Condominium/Business Storage Construction Sales & Service Equipment Sales
Equipment Repair Services Indoor Entertainment/Recreation Laundry Services
Service Station Veterinary Services
Custom Manufacturing Light Industry
Limited Warehousing and Distribution
Research and Production Services
Government/Public Services Local Utility Services
Park and Recreation Services Public Assembly
Section 12.3. CONDITIONAL USES.
Certain uses may be permitted in the (I-1) Light Industrial District subject to specific conditions and requirements as outlined and approved by the Board of Adjustment intending to make them compatible with and acceptable to adjacent uses.
Biotechnology Production or Manufacturing Facilities
General Warehousing and Distribution
Renewable Energy/Renewable Resources Industries
Communication Services (See Section 16.10) Kennels, public
Outdoor Entertainment or Recreation
Scrap and Salvage Services Wind Energy Devices
(See Section 16.11)
Club or Lodge
Major Utility Services
Section 12.4. ACCESSORY USES.
Permitted accessory uses shall not be the principal structure on any lot, and accessory uses are to remain incidental and secondary in size, use, and nature to the principal permitted use. Accessory uses shall also comply the provisions of Section 16.2. The following accessory uses and structures shall be permitted.
Private garages or carports.
Any other commercial or industrial use type that is not listed as a permitted use in the same district, and complies with all the following criteria.
- Operated primarily for convenience of employees, clients, or customers of the principal use.
- Occupies less than 25 percent of the total floor area of the principal use.
- Located and operated as an integral part of the principal use, not a separate business use.
Temporary buildings for uses incidental to construction, in which buildings shall be removed upon the completion or abandonment of construction, and in compliance with Section 16.4.
Accessory buildings and structures normally incidental and subordinate to the principal permitted uses conditional uses.
Section 12.5. SITE DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS.
The following minimum requirements shall be provided for light and open space around permitted and conditional uses, buildings and structures in the (I-1) Light Industrial district, and subject to the Supplemental District Regulations.
- Lot Area – 10,000 square feet – minimum lot area
- Lot Width – 100 feet – minimum lot width
- Front Yard – 35 feet – minimum required setback
- Rear Yard – 25 feet – minimum required setback, except 50 feet setback if the rear yard is adjacent to a residential district.
- Side Yard – 10 feet – minimum required setback, except 25 feet setback if a side yard is adjacent to a residential district.
- Street Side Yard (Corner Lot) – 35 feet – minimum required setback
- Height – 75 feet maximum height provided no structure shall be permitted to extend into approach zones, clear zones or other restricted air space required for the protection of any public airport.
No minimum requirements for local utility facilities and essential services, except that buildings or other above ground structures or devices constructed in support of utilities or essential services must comply with minimum yard setback requirements.
Section 12.6. OPEN-AIR SALES, DISPLAY AND STORAGE.
All open-air sales, display, and storage for automotive sales and equipment sales shall comply with the following minimum requirements:
- The side and rear lot lines, when abutting residential properties, will be screened with a wall or fence with its surface at least fifty percent (50%) solid and at least seven feet (7’) in height. The fence shall not be required to extend beyond the front yard setback line;
- All lighting or lighted facilities shall be arranged so that they do not focus or glare directly on adjacent residential properties, or public streets, thereby creating a traffic hazard;
- No lighted flashing signs, or revolving beacon lights shall be permitted;
- The open-air area shall be maintained to be reasonably free of weeds, debris, trash and other objectionable materials.
Section 12.7. OFF-STREET PARKING.
Off-street parking and loading requirements shall be required for activities in the (I-1) Light Industrial District in accordance with the provisions of Article 17 of this ordinance.
Section 12.8. SIGN REGULATIONS.
Sign regulations shall be required for activities in the (I-1) Light Industrial District in accordance with the provisions of Article 18 of the ordinance.
Section 12.9. ZONING PERMITS REQUIRED.
Zoning permits shall be required in accordance with the provisions of Section 21.3 of this ordinance.