This is only one article of the full zoning ordinances. To see the full, official document, either scroll to the bottom of this article or click here.
Section 5.1. INTENT.
The intent of the Conservation District is to provide for water quality and conservation, protection of wildlife habitat, protect erosion control, protect natural drainage ways and to generally provide for ecologically sound land use of environmentally sensitive areas that can be considered critical areas, or otherwise best suited as buffers between land uses and not suitable for structural developments. This district is also intended to prevent, in those areas which are subject to periodic or potential flooding, such development as would result in a hazard to health or safety or be otherwise incompatible with the public welfare.
Section 5.2. PRINCIPAL PERMITTED USES.
Within the (CN) Conservation District, unless otherwise provided, only the following uses, buildings or structures shall be permitted by right.
Critical Area Crop Production
Floodplain or marshlands Undeveloped/Unimproved Land Water Control Structures, Irrigation, or
Wildlife Management Area/Preserve
Local Utility Services
Park and Recreation Services
Section 5.3. CONDITIONAL USES.
Certain uses may be permitted in the (CN) Conservation district subject to specific conditions and requirements as outlined and approved by the Board of Adjustment intending to make them compatible with and acceptable to adjacent uses.
(See Section 16.10)
Wind Energy Devices
(See Section 16.11)
Government/Public Services Major Utility Facilities
Section 5.4. SPECIAL CONDITIONS.
Along critical portions of major water courses, certain minimum requirements shall be established within the (CN) Conservation district. These minimum requirements include no development allowed within the floodway of any watercourse, excluding bridges, elevated roadways, open space parks, and flood control levees. Nor shall land so zoned be used to meet side or rear yard requirements of other zoning districts herein.
Section 5.5. PERMITTED ACCESSORY USES.
Permitted accessory uses shall not be the principal structure on any lot, and accessory uses are to remain incidental and secondary in size, use, and nature to the principal permitted use. Accessory uses shall also comply with the provisions of Section 16.2. The following accessory uses and structures shall be permitted.
- Essential Services.
- Agricultural or recreational buildings or structures which will not adversely affect the area and the value would not be impaired by being flooded, exclusive of dwelling units.
- Parking lots.
- Temporary buildings for uses incidental to construction, in which buildings shall be removed upon the completion or abandonment of construction, and in compliance with Section 16.4.
- Accessory uses and structures customarily incidental and subordinate to the permitted uses, as approved by the Zoning Administrator.
Section 5.6. SITE DEVELOPMENT REGULATIONS.
The following requirements shall be provided for light and open space around permitted and conditional uses, buildings, and structures in the (CN) Conservation district, and subject to the Supplemental District Regulations.
- Lot Area – No minimum lot area
- Lot Width – No minimum lot width
- Front Yard – 50 feet – minimum required setback
- Rear Yard – 50 feet – minimum required setback
- Side Yard – 25 feet – minimum required setback Street Side Yard (Corner Lot) – 50 feet – minimum required setback
- Height – 35 feet maximum height for dwellings and non-agricultural buildings and structures. No limitation for agricultural buildings provided that no structure shall be permitted to extend into approach zones, clear zones or other restricted air space required for the protection of any public airport.
- Building Coverage – 10 percent of the lot area – maximum coverage Impervious Coverage – 25 percent of the lot area – maximum coverage Green Open Space – 75 percent of the lot area – minimum coverage
No minimum requirements for local utility facilities and essential services, except that buildings or other above-ground structures or devices constructed in support of utilities or essential services must comply with minimum requirements.
Section 5.7. OFF-STREET PARKING.
Off-street parking and loading requirements shall be required for activities in the (CN) Conservation District in accordance with the provisions of Article 17 of this ordinance.
SECTION 5.8. SIGN REGULATIONS.
Sign regulations shall be required for activities in the (CN) Conservation District in accordance with the provisions of Article 18 of the ordinance.
SECTION 5.9. ZONING PERMITS REQUIRED.
Zoning permits shall be required in accordance with the provisions of Section 21.3 of this ordinance.